Saturday, May 4, 2013

The idea that there was nothing to write about after they turned three was 100% wrong

I intended to shut this blog down after my story of Christmas craziness from 2011. The kids were three, they were both more or less using the bathroom on their own (mostly "less") and sleeping regularly through the night. They increased their independence and their ability to socialize to a point where our interactions normalized to a certain degree.

So I felt like there was nothing else to complain to the world about on this blog. So my plan was to let it stand as a marker of the first three years of life with our twins. I fully intended to close the blog down and let the tales of "Twindergarten" live as a cautionary tale to other parents of twins.

What I've found, especially in the last couple of months, is that the third year of life is a buffer zone of sorts. Yes, you have the "terrible threes" (a carryover from the terrible twos) where the children have to learn their boundaries, but the overall ridiculousness of the children's lives seems to dip down between three and four. Now that the children are four, I've found out that there is a whole new set of moments that force me as a parent to stop and take stock of what the hell is going on. I'll be writing about some of those moments over the next couple weeks.

I'll also be writing about some of the moments from 2012 that just deserve mentioning. 

So welcome back Nolan and Lilly, it's been a while since I've shared your lives with the world.  I apologize in advance for when you're old enough to be embarassed by all this.

 



I got a lot of questions last year regarding the last story I wrote on this blog, the one about driving to m-fing Tyler Texas to get a pony.  As you can see by the photos below, Lilly loved her Butterscotch pony.  She fed it the silly plastic carrot and she combed its hair and she would climb on it.  It was generally a hit.  For about six weeks.  Then Butterscotch became more of a "clothes horse".  Which is to say that we'd just stack our clothing on top of Butterscotch. 

We ended up moving last year, which meant that most of our less critical property went into storage for about four months.  During that time, Butterscotch collected dust in a storage facility and was basically forgotten.  Once we got into our new place, that silly horse went into Lilly's new room.  She's still there.  With the time off, it was like getting a new Butterscotch a second time. 

But now it's basically gone back to being a clothes hanger again.

No comments: